«

»

Hubzilla 2.0

For Christmas a new version of Hubzilla is out.  One year after version 1, this version has now better database capability, a wiki that works well, a new twitter API and lots of User Interface bahaviour improved. Hubzilla with the nomadic identity is really a software that goes where anyone has gone.

Here is a somary writen by Mike the founder of Hubzilla

 

The database driver has now been converted to PDO, which was the last remaining work to be done to bring the project up to what we call an « enterprise grade » architecture and began exactly a year ago. In the process of doing this work, we fixed a lot of compatibility issues with postgres – which should now work reasonably well.

The wiki and help pages (project documentation) had a number of usability issues and all of the known issues have been addressed. Wiki pages can now be created in bbcode, which is much more expressive in its ability than markdown.

The API was redesigned and many of the base functions are now documented. The Twitter API was moved to a plugin so you can still use Hubzilla with hundreds of third-party apps and social clients.

The ‘hl’ (highlight) tag was added to our reportoire by request.

Lots of UI behaviour changes to streamline the flow and ease repetitive tasks. Too many to list individually. The « left side » menu was also made ‘sticky’ to ease navigation on lengthy and infinite content pages.

Zot, the base protocol was extended to allow negotiable encryption algorithms; allowing sites to create their own encryption stacks and harden their communications against state-sponsored actors.

Edited posts and comments will now appear on Diaspora (which does not support editing of posts and comments).  There were several other fixes for Diaspora protocol and communications issues.

Superblock was re-written entirely and it is now much easier to remove blocked channels from the blacklist. It is also much harder for their posts to appear in your stream anywhere, and they can never write on your wall; even if you have relaxed comment permissions.

In addition we fixed hundreds of bugs and fixed a lot of « little stuff » that nobody complained about, but we felt should be improved to make this a world-class app.

Since 1.0 – the entire project has been re-written and completely re-architected to provide an enterprise-grade software base going forward. All corporate and external dependencies have been moved to plugins. Most anything that was limited « by design » was reworked and the limitations removed; for example the permissions infrasrtucture. Along the way we introduced new functionality in most areas of the platform and continued re-working the UI to make it more consistent and usable. The project also supports three base modes (but this could be extended) to provide functionality tuned to different uses such as for federation or enterprise use. The list of individual changes since 1.0 is quite staggering. I haven’t done a count but I believe it probably represents around a half a million lines of code changed; possibly much more than that. The total amount of work is quite impressive given the small team and numerous distractions we faced from critics and trolls along the way.