If you have your own GnuSocial, you can configure the TwitterBridge. This Twitter “bridge” plugin allows you to integrate your GnuSocial instance with Twitter. Installing it will allow your users to:
– automatically post notices to their Twitter accounts
– automatically subscribe to other Twitter users who are also using
– your StatusNet install, if possible (requires running a daemon)
– import their Twitter friends’ tweets (requires running a daemon)
– allow users to authenticate using Twitter (‘Sign in with Twitter’).
Here is a How to step by step for connecting your GnuSocial account with your twitter. Step 1 to 5 is administration configuration.
1. Configuration in GnuSocial
Edit you config.php file (should be on your root directory of GnuSocial) and just add the following line
Once it is done, upload it.
2. Creation of your Twitter app
Second step, you should create a twitter application. Go to https://apps.twitter.com/. If you are not connected to Twitter, sign in with your twitter account. Then clic Create New App
how to connect your GnuSocial with Twitter step 2
– Name : Your should invent a name for your application. Should be unique so, try to invent a unique name.
– Description : Write something to help you in case you have many applications
– Website : Type here the URL of your GnuSocial website.
– Don’t forget to read and valide the Developer Rules of the Road at the end of this form
– Clic on Create your Twitter application
3 Change the permission
Clic on API Key, then Mofify app permision to read an write.
Clic ont the Tab Permission and change permission to read and write
4 Create your access token
Clic API Key, and at the bottom of the page, Create my access token. Check that this token have read and write permission (waite a little and refrench the page)
5 Twitter bridge settings
Go to the admin panel of your GnuSocial. You should have Twitter option. Then enter :
– Consumer Key : put the API Key
– Consumer Secret put the API secret
– Application name
Now your users should connect with twitter.
6. Connect your account with Twitter
Now the most important step is not done. This is the easiest (if all previous steps was done correctly).
In your GnuSocial go to Setting > Twitter > Connect my Twitter account > Validate
I recommand to just leave the first option “send my notices to Twitter” on. That means that when you are going to write something public on your GnuSocial, that will post to your twitter account as well.
I don’t recommand to select “Subscribe to my Twitter friends here”. Except if you have a strong server.
Installing your own gnusocial